Sunday 1 March 2015

Easing myself back into crafting with Jewellery disasters.

VERY SLOWLY!

I have been a lady of leisure now for a few weeks but having Half Term last week sort of threw me off track a bit. My blitzing, cleaning and de-cluttering has slowed down a tad but I am pleased that the areas I have done, I am maintaining and adding a few new areas to my list each week.

The area surround me on the sofa is certainly not a clutter free zone as I am surrounded by boxes of beads and a large cardboard box of books, DVDs and games which are next on my list to sort.

Right, let's get creative!!! OR NOT!

My feeble attempts at creativity have done a huge belly flop and I was tempted to pack all my beady stuff back in my craft room and bolt the door. Here is how it's going!

Now back at the beginning of the month an inspiration challenge was posted over at Crafts by Carolyn's using this pic start with. I am not a purple person but using the braid theme I stole a friendship bracelet kit from Amelia and set to work.

I had never tried Kumihimo before so it was a good reason to try it out.


Progress was quite slow as I was only using the embroidery silks provided in the kit which was aimed at children. I was please with what I had done but I have left it unfinished as it wasn't really to my taste and I was keen to try other things!

SO, next I tried Satin Rat tail. I scoured the internet trying to find out how long to cut the lengths to for a bracelet. Eventually I found somewhere that suggested you take the length of the required bracelet, double it and add 12 inches. I went for it! 

Loved how quickly this braid work up and was really excited, yes, I know it's sad!



Once finished I was disappointed that the braid was too fat to fit into the super cool magnetic clasp which was 6.2mm! Arghh! I was not disheartened and put it all down to inexperience and trial and error. Upon saying that I looked at the braid and noticed how much it stretched, so much in fact that the length was  no longer suitable for a bracelet for myself! I am glad I put this to the test but don't know how to get around the issue.

Yesterday I decided to re-bead a wrap bracelet I made a few years ago. I had only used  embroidery silk to bead it and it had broken. With my newly arrived beady supplies I set to work. Love these colours and once again I felt like a kid in a candy shop.


Until 3/4 of the way through, snap! The Superlon Bead cord broke! ARGH!

What to do next? I want to make jewellery that will withstand good wear and tear not stretch out of shape or snap! HELP PLEASE!!!!




2 comments:

Oblibby said...

Lovely to see you back blogging, Adele. I'm just getting back into it too and trying to catch up with all my old friends.

Have you thought about Miyuki beads crochet thread? It's pretty strong but very flexible and good to work with.

Oblibby said...

Lovely to see you back blogging, Adele. I'm just getting back into it too and trying to catch up with all my old friends.

Have you thought about Miyuki beads crochet thread? It's pretty strong but very flexible and good to work with.