Wednesday 19 December 2012

Recipe for salt dough Christmas Decorations


Full of cold, can hardly talk, pounding head, rotten cough. Spent the day dosing myself up with Lemsip and stinking of Olbas Oil. A bit of craft therapy to relax and I have had such fun. Still go to personalise the backs of these then string them.



I followed a basic salt dough recipe

1 cup plain flour
1 cup salt
1/2 cup water
extra flour for rolling
rolling pin
assorted cutters
baking tray
foil
Pre-heat the oven to 100 oC
Mix together the flour, salt into a bowl. 
Add the water and form mix until a soft ball is formed. 
Roll out on a lightly dusted surface and cut shapes as required. 

Consider the thickness of the shapes, I did a mixture of some chunkier ones as well as some which were thinner. I will update with more information but I will say, I did break off the point of a star being too enthusiastic with decorating it! Try not to overwork as I found it got a bit tacky and difficult to work with.
If you are making decorations to hang, don't forget to make the holes!!! A drinking straw is great for the job!

Place your shapes onto a prepared baking tray, I lined mine with grease proof paper and covered with foil. Heat for 2-3 hours.

To decorate.

I used a basic children's ready made paint but needed several coats. Once dry, I inked up a few of my favourite stamps and lightly stamped over the shapes. I used Memento inks which did smudge slightly so I would probably go for Staz-on next time. Embellish with Liquid Pearl, Perfect Pearls, Glitter, Metallic rub-ons......the choice is yours. 

I found it quite effective to varnish then sprinkle glitter lightly over the shapes.

I am stringing these as in my previous post, with natural twine, a little lace and some gingham ribbon.






No comments: